Late Night Feedings

Tales from the crib: life with Sophie, Lilah, and Jude
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Courtesy of Skee-Lo

When I decided to be a stay at home mom for a few years I thought part of the bargain would be having time to pursue some of my hobbies and interests. HAHAHAHAHAHA. Yea, lots of free time. The thing is, I know I do still have at least a teensy bit more "free" time now than I will have one day when I go back to work. I really want to find time for the things that interest me. Such as:

Photography- I bought a nicer camera just before Lilah was born. I play with it occasionally. I can adjust the f stop manually, do some basic editing, and take a much better picture than the average amateur out there. But that's it. Ultimately I want to never visit a Picture People again. I want to take beautiful photos of my kids, and maybe other people's. I just can't seem to find the time to learn what I need to learn and implement.

Cooking- I love to cook. I am pretty good at it. My new kitchen is huge and has semi-professional equipment. When I do have time to cook, the food is awesome. But I wish I had more time to try elaborate and gourmet recipes. I want time to experiment with new things. I kind of also want a prep chef and someone to clean up after me.

Sewing- I do not know anything about operating a sewing machine. But I wish I did. I just want to be able to sew a simple hem, make some throw pillows, that sort of thing. While we're on the topic- any recommendations for a good beginner's sewing machine?

Exercise- I'm not sure if this is a hobby, but it's something I semi-enjoy and wish I had more time to devote to. Out of all of my "hobbies," this one wins. I do work out at least 3 times a week, but gosh that's not enough. I probably devote the most time to it because it's more socially acceptable to be a sucky seamstress than it is to be a lard ass.

Craftiness in general- I love painting, scrap booking, reupholstering, etc. I did paint the whole playroom. It is about 99% done and I promise to take photos (albeit mediocre ones since I have no time to pursue photography) when it is totally finished. I wish i had more time for the little projects I think of from time to time.

While I'm listing the impossible, or at least the not very likely, let me just throw this one out there- learning to play a musical instrument. I started to learn piano at one point, but had to stop when I moved away from the piano. I wish I could play piano or even drums.

I also wish I had more time for this blog. Sigh.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Ahhaha! "More socially acceptable to be a sucky seamstress than a lard ass." Indeed. Which is why up until this pregnancy I was spending my free time at the Y instead of scrapbooking and decorating and all the other stuff I used to do for fun. I decided it was pretty fun to feel hot too.
Now I'm back to lard ass for the time being, as it turns out the Y no longer offers the prenatal aerobics I took both other pregnancies. I DO have a prenatal yoga DVD, but come on... What are the odds I'm going to pop that baby in more than once?

Anonymous said...

Skee-Lo?

Do you have to go to work? When your kids are in real school you will have more time for hobbies.

BTW, I too would love help preparing food for cooking and cleaning up after me. Is that what husbands are for?

B said...

Sarah- before each of my pregnancies I swore I would continue exercising and that totally did not happen. After the first cramp I was all, "no way, exercising is going to make me contract."

Frayda- When all of my kids (not sure I'm done yet) are in real school I will be back to work in some capacity. Plus they will all have their activities that I have to shuttle them to. Skee Lo had that song back in the early 90's "I wish I was a little bit taller, I wish I wasn't balder, I wish I had a girl who looked good I would call her..."

momoftwo said...

YOU STILL LEAVE ME IN AWE! (DOES THAT HELP?)