Late Night Feedings

Tales from the crib: life with Sophie, Lilah, and Jude
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

A Decidedly Divided Thanksgiving

One of the reasons I don't make more of an effort to blog more often is because I feel like I keep friends and family up to date on facebook, and I try to tweet my funny mom thoughts.  But something I have recently noticed on Facebook has inspired me to blog.

Over the past few days my Facebook newsfeed has been decidedly divided. Half of my friends are constantly updating their statuses, posting pictures, and sharing articles about the current war in Israel.  the other half of my friends are posting pictures of their children dressed up as turkeys and pilgrims, sharing Pinterest recipes, and updating their statuses to say what they are thankful for. I am also decidedly divided. My heart is in the East and am in the end of the West. I have spent the past few days marveling at the costumes and decor my girls have brought home from school.  I have perfected my menu (see below) and begun cooking.  I have reflected on what I am deeply thankful for.

I have been scared.  I have been sad.  I have contacted friends in targeted areas of Israel to make sure they are safe. I have "adopted" an IDF soldier. I imagine Yehudah Zalman ben Fayge Miriam in a protective bubble of all of the love, prayers, and positive energy I have been sending his way. I have donated money for warm clothes and food for the soldiers that keep Israel safe.

As I bake delicious pies, stuffing, and scones I am thankful to be in my warm, safe home preparing delicious food for my wonderful friends and family. But with every rocket launched (and blown up by the iron dome), news report I hear, and picture I see, I am thankful most of all for Israel, its courageous citizens, and the brave soldiers that keep the country, people, and spirit safe.  May God watch over them and keep them safe.

Happy Thanksgiving, Everyone.  Stay safe, peaceful, and happy; surrounded by the people and things you love!
My Thanksgiving Weekend Menu:

Thanksgiving Dinner:

Oven-roasted turkey
Tofu stuffing
Cornbread butternut squash stuffing
Garlic mashed potatoes
Sesame string beans
Cranberry-apple crisp

Pumpkin pie
Pecan pie


Breakfast treats:

Raspberry white chocolate scones

Friday Night Dinner:

Challah
Roasted vegetable soup
Glazed chicken
Meatballs
Rice Pilaf with Edamame

Pumpkin pie
Pecan pie


Saturday Lunch:

Challah
Sweet and Sour Brisket
Thanksgiving Leftover Mini-Pies (individual pie shells filled with some of each leftover Thanksgiving Dinner dish such as turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, cranberry-apple crisp, etc.- YUM!)

No comments: