Late Night Feedings

Tales from the crib: life with Sophie, Lilah, and Jude
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Monday, January 10, 2011

Good (Mama)Vibrations

Once, when I was pregnant with Sophie, I had a vivid dream. I dreamt I was this mama fish. I was in the deep sea, swimming along the ocean floor and there was some sort of predator, a bigger fish, perhaps. My heart was pounding as I tried to herd (school?) all of my baby fish to safety under a large rock/coral thing. It was so real. I woke up feeling panicked and exhausted. It was my first time experiencing that protective mother feeling and I hadn’t even given birth yet!

We have always had a fish tank in our home. I used to think of the fish as I think of a houseplant. It’s something nice to look at, it requires some care once in a while, and that’s about it. Since becoming a mom; however, the fish have become other beings that I care for. And, I SWEAR to you that they know I am the mama. If anyone else is in the room, they hardly notice. They go about their regular business of swimming and poking around. As soon as I WALK PAST THE DOORWAY they immediately form a school and all swim to the top of the tank. It’s so obvious that Shimmy even acknowledges it. And I can’t ignore them. It’s as if one of my children is standing at my feet asking to be held. If I haven’t fed the fish that day, I will feed them. If I have just fed them an hour earlier, I will stand there and talk to them for a while. It’s like they can just sense my mama vibes. And I accept this. I know I am the nurturer of the house and that this applies to nurturing every living thing, be it a human, a fish, or a plant.

Going about their business:

I've been spotted:

HI, MAMA!!!

1 comment:

Barb said...

that is too funny!! they are smart fish! and they know that you are a good mommy :) love reading your posts - brightens my day!! happy snow day?!?!? xoxo