Late Night Feedings

Tales from the crib: life with Sophie, Lilah, and Jude
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Thursday, October 15, 2009

October 15

When I picked Sophie up from school today she showed me a picture she had drawn. Her teacher had written her name and the date on the back of it. The date she drew the picture was September 23. Time stood still for just one second as I immediately registered that date. It was my due date for my first baby, who I lost after carrying for 11 weeks 4 days. That doesn't seem like a long time, but it was long enough to fall in love with my tiny child, long enough to feel elated that I was growing a new life in my body, and long enough to have hopes and dreams for my baby. I remember every detail of the nightmare that was my miscarriage. It was the worst time period of my life. It was odd that I should be reminded of it today, because today was in fact Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance Day. While I no longer think about my miscarriage every day, it is still very much a part of me. I always wear a sapphire (September's birth stone) and diamond ring that Shimmy gave me on the Mother's Day after I miscarried, as a symbol that my first baby is always in my heart. And today especially I have been thinking about him. I never got to meet him, to smell his sweet skin, or kiss the soft hair on his head. But I carried him for the short time he was in this world. I am still his Mommy and I will always love him. And I know he, and all of the other precious babies who have flown away too soon, feel the love all of us Mommies will always have for them.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Well. You know how much I love this post. ((Hugs.))
I'm curious- were you able to find out for sure the sex (that it was a boy) or do you just have a strong feeling that it was a boy? It always pains me that I don't know the sex of our lost babies, but each time I felt that they were girls, with no real basis.

B said...

I thought about you when writing it. Hugs back to you! We could have found out the sex from tests run in pathology after my d&c, but we declined. My husband did not want to know because he said it would make it too real. I did not feel like I needed confirmation of what I already knew. The same way I knew both of my daughters were girls before they were born, I knew this baby was a boy.

Anonymous said...

*hugs*
I lost a pregnancy before I was married so I can't tell anyone about it but I still remember... it never really stops hurting.
trish

B said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, Trish, and that you have had to keep that pain to yourself.