Late Night Feedings

Tales from the crib: life with Sophie, Lilah, and Jude
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Monday, November 30, 2009

More Turkey, Mr. Chandler?

I love Thanksgiving. It is one of my favorite holidays. I love the warm coziness of hanging out by the fireplace for the first time each year. I love the food. I love the company. But it seems like every single year some debacle takes place which puts a damper on my good time. This year it was a bunch of men smoking cigars on my lawn, forcing my kids and myself to be confined indoors for 4 hours as we watched what was supposed to be a fun time. Last year it was a huge fight which erupted the night before Thanksgiving mostly having to do with a general disrespect for me, particularly in my pregnant condition. The year before that, some guests were late, causing the Turkey to be dried out and not the succulent meal I had perfected over the years. And so on and so forth. Each time, I recover from the debacle and still manage to have a nice Thanksgiving. But I can't help but dwell on the fact that it wasn't the perfect day it should have been. I know this probably speaks more about my unrealistic expectations for Thanksgiving to be perfect. You know what would help me lower the bar? If I heard about other people's Thanksgiving debacles. This would shatter the mental image I have of everyone else's day going perfectly. So if you have a bad Thanksgiving story please, please share it! It will be just like the Friends episode!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Hmm. Jim's and my first Thanksgiving together was the one on which we announced our engagement. It was also the first time his grandma was meeting me, and her first words to me? Were actually spoken over my head, to Jim: "Well, good job honey! She's a pretty one, and tall!" That was... odd.
There was the one I got so mad at my dad for letting my mom do ALL the work and then criticizing her that I had to go fume in the kitchen, drinking heavily, until Jim came to help me calm down.
There was the one when my aunt spent the whole evening regaling us with horrifying stories from the nursing home where she is a nurse. Nothing says holidays like stories about incontinence and having to help old men HOLD UP THEIR SCROTUMS so they don't fall into the toilet. Yeah. That was the worst, seriously. "Happy Thanksgiving! Don't forget that someday you'll get old, too, and some stranger will be telling stories about YOUR saggy genitals to their entire family!"

B said...

Thank you! Exactly the validation I was looking for! I am sorry for your bad Thanksgiving happenings, though, especially the old man on the toilet *shudder*.